Friday, December 15, 2023

Quote of the Week...from René Descartes

I only speak one language really, mathematics, but I dabble in others like English just enough to answer questions and buy groceries.        ---René Descartes

René Descartes (1596-1650) was a famous French philosopher and mathematician...we have him to thank for the Cartesian coordinate system named after him.  I encountered his above quote through a cryptogram I solved the other day, from a mixed puzzle magazine I bought at Publix while, incidentally, buying groceries. Being an amateur, dabbling student in foreign languages, I was intrigued by his likening of mathematics as a language in its own right. Also, I just finished reading Foo Fighters creator and front man Dave Grohl's autobiography The Storyteller and derived from his experiences with music that it, too, is a sort of language.  So, is learning the languages of mathematics and music essentially different in nature from learning Chinese, Russian, German, English...or any other tongue?  I wonder...maybe Steve Kaufmann's advocacy of attaining passive comprehension in them works similarly to what he promotes with foreign language acquisition.  After all, he says that the human brain is naturally wired to pick up languages and that we should focus ourselves on reading and listening on a grand scale, discerning the linguistic patterns as we go along on a deliberate journey of learning that necessarily takes patience with the results we first achieve.  I want to become "proficient" in both math and music, although with the former I scored a perfect 800 on my SAT and with the latter I have a mental library of thousands of songs and pieces I've heard over the years...albeit without the detailed analytical music theory behind them or musical skill with instruments or voice.  I'd written before on this blog that I'd like to be able to play a guitar or keyboard, if for no other reason other than to be able to share some of that music I already mentally possess with others.  Yes, I wonder whether the linguistic theory of "comprehensible input" can apply to those two areas as well...I'll bet Descartes knew the answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment