Sunday, October 1, 2023

The Misanthropic Volunteer?

Today's piece is more or less a continuation of yesterday's entry about my running and walking...with a marked misanthropic slant, if you can handle that.  I mentioned that yesterday I volunteered at my local Gainesville Depot Parkrun event, sorting the plastic finishing tokens that are scanned along with the runners' own printed barcodes...I don't expect you to know what I'm talking about.  But being where I was, I could observe the proceedings from a different perspective and, quite frankly, came to the conclusion that the vast majority of people around me were miserably unhappy.  There was one lady there...there always seems to be someone like this in most public social situations I find myself in... who made a point of having me walk across the park to ask a park employee whether a sheltered pavilion there was available to us in case it started raining.  She could have gone and done that herself, but I sensed a need in her to assert hierarchy and power, no matter how petty.  I was fine with the task but filed away her behavior...that alone would convince me to never volunteer here again.  But with the others, in spite of all the stuff I hear about how people want to be sociable and make friends, none of them seemed the least bit interested in doing so, with me or anyone else, for that matter.  Everyone, frankly, seemed terribly reserved and formal...yeah, like I want to hang out with them!  Not that I am necessarily passing judgment on anyone...I'm sure they could come up with some zingers to say about me as well.  But I do think that it is a fraud, a big lie, to claim to be extraverted...or that there is something wrong with me that I am introverted...when the vast majority of folks out there are either put out, uncomfortable...or even frightened when in social settings, especially among strangers.  Does any of this prove that I hate people?  I don't think so, otherwise I wouldn't have been willing to pay attention in such a discerning way to those around me.  Instead, I believe that people in general are much, much more misanthropic than they like to let others believe. And if it's not a sweeping dislike of humanity with them, at the very least they are tribal, with all of their efforts at sociability confined to their insulated little bubble of family and close friends.  Oh heck, I'll probably volunteer here again, I'm such a glutton for punishment...

No comments:

Post a Comment