Saturday, September 30, 2023

My September 2023 Running and Walking Report

This morning I took a break from actively participating in the weekly Depot Parkrun 5K held Saturdays here in Gainesville.  Instead, I volunteered there, standing at the table sorting out finishing tokens according to their barcode system for recording the times of the runners (or walkers).  It was interesting watching the race from the perspective of someone on the sidelines...I don't think I had done that since I was on my high school track team in 1973!  Next week I'm planning to be at the beach with Melissa and on October 14th I'm already signed up to run the Florida Track Club's 10K race to be held on the Hawthorne Trail, starting and ending at Boulware Springs Park in the southeastern corner of town.  As for this past month, I've been active and injury/illness-free: whoopee!  The temperatures have begun to turn cooler and the humidity drier after a bear of a sweltering, swampy summer here in northern Florida...it's about time! My ultimate goal for the fall and winter is to run a number of races at 10K (6.2) miles distance and higher, even considering a possible stab at the marathon event to be held next January in Hawthorne.  But first things first, and more than the races themselves, I value simply being able to run and walk daily.  As for that walking, my speed at which I've been working on, I'd like to mix it into my races more and more as the years go by...I'll be turning 67 this week... 

No comments:

Post a Comment