Monday, October 23, 2023

Just Finished Reading You, Happier by Daniel G. Amen

Daniel Gregory Amen is an American psychiatrist who has become popular with his notion of brain types, as revealed by what he calls SPECT (single-photon emission computed tomography), that is, brain scans, that he liberally uses at his clinics to determine his clients' brain types and then offer treatment and programs that purportedly match the determined type.  And he has identified 16 types: 5 primary and 11 secondary, which are derived from the primary.  Since this book of his I just finished reading, You, Happier, bases a lot of his advice on which particular brain type I supposedly have, I decided to take his online survey that he claims to approximate the correct brain type.  The primary types are (1) Balanced, (2) Spontaneous, (3) Persistent, (4) Sensitive, and (5) Cautious.  Balanced is what it claims to be, a measured combination of 2,3 and 4.  After I took the "test", they gave me my type: Number (8), which curiously ALSO claims to be a combination of brain types 2,3, and 4!  Only, I guess, with me the combination isn't so balanced...or maybe they don't know what the hell they're doing, always a possibility.  With books like this by pop physicians who use a hook or gimmick to lure in the reader (and prospective customer of their inevitable product line), Amen expanded You, Happier to become a bible of living, smoothly stepping out of his area of medical expertise to give dietary advice, labeling some foods and drink (like pizza, ice cream, hamburgers and coffee, you know, the stuff I like) as "sad" and others (green vegetables, nuts, fruits...all organic, of course) as "happy".  If it sounds as if I am being unduly critical of the good doctor, then it's only because I feel that he is trading off his medical credentials in order to build a lucrative business and loyal following while making dubious connections between the study of the human brain and popular psychology.  Had he written his suggestions and advice from the perspective of a fellow traveler through life such as myself, I would have had no doubt a more positive reaction. Also, these brain scans Daniel Amen bases his theories on dosing the brain with radiation for those scans, and he's been criticized for this as well.  In closing, I have to admit to cringing a bit whenever my local public television station is undergoing a fund drive, and they have people like Amen or Steven Gundry on the air lecturing the gullible, nodding audience on their particular quirky notions about what is good and what isn't.  But why stop with this review...why not simply check out You, Happier and see (or hear if you do the audio version) for yourself?  I thought there was some good stuff in it, but I had to filter it out from the author's personal biases...

No comments:

Post a Comment