Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Podcaster Says to Stop Doing These Nine Things

In yesterday's article I was critical of Daniel Amen using his professional title as a doctor of psychiatry to present a comprehensive bible of life and how to live it, noting that were he only to present himself as a fellow traveler through life without all the self-aggrandizing hoopla, I would have been more receptive to his message.  In a similar vein, I tend more to relate to podcaster Rob Dial on his Mindset Mentor show.  Dial to me has just as much insight into "life"...however you might frame it...as "doctor" Amen, but he doesn't hide behind professional titles in giving his views.  Even so, sometimes I agree with Dial and sometimes I don't...that, I'm sure, would suit him quite well as he is no stickler for perfection (read numbers 4 and 6 below).  The other day he listed nine things that he insists each of us stop...nip it in the bud, as Barney Fife would say.  Here they are...

STOP
1) making excuses...rarely does anyone regret not having made them
2) playing the victim...takes control of life away from self, better to take responsibility
3) complaining...use "1-3-1" method: identify 1 problem, come up with 3 solutions, pick 1 to start with
4) being afraid of failure...failure is the best teacher, you want to fail soon and often
5) procrastinating...too much planning, instead "ready, fire, aim", aka take action and then adjust
6) being so hard on yourself...you're doing the best you can, let it go-especially past regrets
7) trying to control everything...we're all pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things
8) giving up on yourself...follow up, go through with what you've started
9) settling for just an "OK" life...we have the capacity for an incredible life, which we get one shot at

To all the above the "Goth" part of me would like to add "easier said than done".  But then again, life is a journey, not a destination...let's just take things one micro-habit at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment