Three different college football polls have come out following Saturday evening's University of Florida 29-16 victory over Tennessee in Gainesville. The Volunteers were strongly favored to win, by something like a five-point margin, but the Gators proved the better team at least for this game. Following Saturday's contests, ESPN, the Associated Press and the Coaches each came out with their new rankings and Florida actually made it to #25 for the first two pollsters. Yet in all three Tennessee was ranked higher, at #23, #24 and #20 respectively. This slighting in the polls of UF in favor of their conference divisional rival reminds me of the years during Steve Spurrier's reign as head coach when the Gators would handle the Vols in their early season contest, only to see UT with their easier late season schedule surge ahead of them in the final polls. The only thing Florida can do now is play well...especially in their upcoming conference games, starting against Kentucky two weeks from now in Lexington following a home game next week against small college Charlotte. I kind of liked watching college football this weekend, in particular the FSU-Boston College game and some of UF-Tennessee...yet I'm still not yet on board with NFL pro football. But the season is young. Yesterday, though, I had other stuff to do besides watching sports, although I did check out a golfing tournament taking place out in California that Saith Theegala, won, his first PGA victory...
Monday, September 18, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment