Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Spreading Self Thin over Projects...and Enjoying It

I'm looking at probably too high a number of personal projects I'm currently engaged in, wondering whether I'm spreading myself too thinly.  The answer is likely "Yes", yet I have decided to do just that while enjoying the essence and variety of the different areas.  Several foreign languages, writing, reading, distance running/walking and mathematics in its various forms occupy much of my "free" time and attention, and to be sure progress in any one of them isn't steep, to say the least.  Yet that doesn't bother me.  I enjoy the process of gradually accumulating known vocabulary in various languages while picking out patterns and meanings in what I hear.  My blog writing, allowing for an occasional missing day, is a personal discipline I've been true to for years, and plan to continue it as long as I am able.  I read, primarily either science fiction short stories or books...primarily in audio format...I've checked out from the library.  I, in turn, write my reactions on this blog after reading them.  My running has never been fast enough to command anyone's attention, although as I age, I find myself more and more eligible for age category awards in races even when finishing far behind most of the young whippersnappers out there. And math, which I've always had a very high aptitude for, is a pure academic subject for which I see no personal practical value other than eventually teaching it either as a tutor or in a part-time classroom setting following my retirement. Add to all this a wonderful wife and family and more passive interests like stargazing and watching sports...and occasional travel adventures...and it all adds up to one word: fun. I've also noticed a correspondingly higher level of contentment, gratitude and optimism after I made the conscious personal decision to studiously avoid the news, in all its biased and sensationalist forms...

No comments:

Post a Comment