It's been an incredibly hot summer, and the heat doesn't seem to be letting up. I haven't run much outdoors during the past few months...yesterday I even skipped the weekly free local 5K race because it was 80 degrees and 93% humidity at just past 6:00 AM. Today I decided to go on a fast walk at sunset around my neighborhood, for just a little more than a 5K distance. Only problem was that, at 7:40 PM with shadows draping everything outdoors, the temperature was a staggering 98 (heat index of 106), with at least a reasonably dry humidity of 41%. I walked a fast (for me) pace for the duration...my Runkeeper phone app recorded my record of 3.23 miles covered in 51 minutes, 2 seconds...a 15:49 minutes/mile pace, much slower than the treadmill walks I have been doing at my gym. But treadmills usually give you faster times, and the indoor, cooled temperature there is usually around 70. So, I'm happy with this effort and plan to try inserting more neighborhood fast walks into my schedule, and for longer distances when the time permits. In any event, I don't think I'm as susceptible to the heat as some others are, although I wasn't about to run my neighborhood course under these conditions. As it was, I felt good for this entire walk although the heat was clearly evident...
Sunday, August 13, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment