Yesterday I enjoyed watching the FedEx/St. Jude PGA golf tournament, held in Memphis, Tennesse. In it Lucas Glover, a 43-year-old veteran of the circuit for decades without many victories to show for it, overcame the putting difficulties of his previous years and won his second straight tournament. I was rooting for him to succeed, although it did get a bit "old" for me to repeatedly hear announcers bring up his age...I'm 23 years older! But I get it, this is sports, and when you start getting into your late thirties, folks begin to diminish your future prospects for success. The course at Memphis is loaded with water traps that tend to destroy golfers' rounds...yet even the best of them can't seem to be able to realize this when they're driving the ball. Glover ended the regulation 72 holes yesterday evening tied with Patrick Cantlay for the lead. On the very first sudden death hole, Cantlay drove his shot straight into the water, pretty much handing the tourney to his more methodical and cautious opponent. I was impressed more than anything at Lucas Glover's consistency from hole to hole...it reminded me of how Brian Palmer managed to run away with the (British) Open a few weeks ago while his more known competitors floundered on the course with their mistakes. I'm looking forward to next weekend, for I am not only a fan of the men's PGA regular circuit but also of the second-tier Korn Ferry tournaments, the seniors' "Champions" tour, and the LPGA. Go golf! By the way, the temperatures in Memphis yesterday mirrored that here in Gainesville. Glover, who in spite of his name doesn't wear gloves while golfing, had to repeatedly dunk his hands in ice as he struggled to withstand the hot conditions...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment