Friday, May 19, 2023

Quote of the Week...from Keanu Reeves

It's easy to become very self-critical when you're an actor.  Then you get critiqued by the critics.  Whether you agree with them or not, people are passing judgment on you.
                   ---Keanu Reeves

Although he's been the star of many successful movies by now, I strongly identify Keanu Reeves by his role of Neo, aka "Mister Anderson", in the outstanding and profound Matrix science fiction trilogy. I think he fit that role superbly...I probably should check out other flicks of his.  Not being an actor myself, I won't speak to that specific profession, but rather in a more general sense.  As a simple human being grinding out my own life on this planet at this time and place, I feel that I am continuously under the judgmental gaze of others.  It's disconcerting when I go to a simple men's breakfast at my church and all everyone wants to do is play pecking order games about their respective careers and accomplishments...guess who gets to be at the bottom of the social status totem pole with my steady union job (and what does any of this have to do with Jesus)? But then again, I...and most probably you as well...have had times in my life when I was considered at the top of whatever it was that I was involved with.  During those occasions I discovered that while most people didn't treat me any differently during those periods, there were also those who exaggerated whatever success I had experienced while others would explain it all with comments that I had some kind of unfair advantage. I believe that too many people create prisons for themselves by imagining judgment coming down on them from others if they don't dress, look or speak a certain way or have the "correct" associations.  Like Keanu, I recognize nearly universal judgment going on around me while at the same time deprecating its importance in the grand scheme of things. In truth, that judgment is vastly dwarfed by another social syndrome: being generally ignored and eventually forgotten. And that, I'm afraid, is something which is so much worse that few want to face it head on, although even with all of our social media and instant communication it is the sign of our times...   

No comments:

Post a Comment