After skipping a week, I had planned to once again get on down to Depot Park a few blocks south of Gainesville's downtown section and run the free, volunteer-organized Saturday morning Depot Parkrun for another go at 5 kilometers (3.1 miles). I almost missed it, though, when my alarm failed...but Melissa woke me just in time to get there for the 7:30 start. Outside the fog, which was strong at the start of my drive there, suddenly lifted and the sky was totally clear. The temperature was 70 degrees with an excruciatingly muggy 96% humidity...not good! Once again, I ran the event trying to settle into a running groove, which I probably mistakenly set at too high a pace due to that humidity. I noticed that a number of fellow runners may have miscalculated as well, for they found themselves having to walk after a time on the course. I finished at 31:46 without needing to slow to a walk...you can see the results by clicking HERE. It was one of my faster efforts recently at the Parkrun although I should have run a little slower, truth be told. Some 99 people crowded today's run...unfortunately a small number of them didn't get their times properly recorded with their names: either they didn't preregister online (it's how you get the barcodes for your results to be recorded) or there was some sort of glitch. As for future Parkruns, I can see that the weather conditions here in Gainesville are only going to get more unbearable in the weeks to come. My plan, at least right now, for June is to walk one Saturday, run another, and volunteer a third...on the 17th the run will be cancelled due to the park being used for the Freedom Walk during Juneteenth weekend. As for next week at Depot Park, maybe I'll try walking that one, too: I've been practicing speed-walking both around my neighborhood and at the gym on their treadmill...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment