On yesterday's Mindset Mentor podcast, personal development coach Rob Dial laid out a simple strategy for dealing with worry. Worry is an insidious feeling that can eat away at happiness, but Dial claims that studies have shown that some 85% of what people worry about never happens, and of the remaining 15%, fully four out of five aren't anywhere near as bad as imagined...leaving 97% as a figure of probability weighing against worry. No, I don't know where he got those figures, but I'm flowing with the podcast to see where he leads. Dial's prescription for worry IS something that I wholeheartedly agree with: action! Of course, if you're worried who the next president will be or how the Russian invasion of Ukraine will end, your action against the massive scope of the situation isn't necessarily going to alleviate it or even end your worry. So, I'd qualify Dial's suggestion and say that if you're worried about something going on in your own personal life, then of course action accompanied by a resulting sense of progress in dispelling the problem is a sensible road to go down. Otherwise, it's like the Serenity Prayer (written by Dr. Reinhold Niebuhr), with serenity being the polar opposite of worry: "God give me the serenity to accept things which cannot be changed; Give me courage to change things which must be changed; And the wisdom to distinguish one from the other." I can guarantee that the world will never run out of things to worry us about, but we do have a choice in how we react to them...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment