Yesterday I watched on TV the Kentucky Derby horse race for three-year-old thoroughbreds, as usual picking my "favorites" from the list having the most interesting names. Also as usual, there were nearly twenty in the field...actually down in number due to some scratches, including early favorite Forte. The TV announcers went around and around doing pieces on the different horses, jockeys, owners and trainers involved...yawn. Finally, the race began and I was taken by how today's video technology has greatly enhanced the viewing of these events, clearly showing the field racing in the backstretch and turns as the jockeys maneuvered their horses around and through their competition. In the end it was a horse with middling odds, Mage, that edged out another non-favorite, Two Phil's. in what turned out to be a pretty exciting finish. I'm not sure, though, that I want to sit again through all that pre-race hype. And I'd be very surprised if this year's Derby winner will go on to win either of the other two races in the Triple Crown, assuming Mage will even be entered in them...
Sunday, May 7, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment