Saturday, May 6, 2023

Ran Gainesville's Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning

Parkruns have sprung up all over the country, having originated I believe in England.  Like their name implies, they occur in area parks...Gainesville has one that takes place at pretty Depot Park a few blocks south of downtown every Saturday morning at 7:30. You sign up in advance on their website and get barcodes that you can (like me) print out...some folks somehow get them put on their smartphones.  Then at the end of each event the finishers get a token that gets scanned along with their barcodes, the results to be presented later in the day online.  It's a pretty neat system and it's free...but since it is also totally supported by volunteers, volunteering is always in demand: won't be long, I think, before I throw my hat into that and see where it lands.  This morning I got up and out there to run my unprecedented third straight Depot Parkrun.  With the temperature at 67 degrees and humidity at 84%, I had originally planned on going at a much slower pace but discovered a hidden source of energy within me and picked it up with each lap (four of them equal 5K).  My finishing time was 33:08...you can see the overall results by clicking HERE. Now the question is: will I go for a fourth straight Parkrun next Saturday?  Guess I'll have to see how I feel then...

No comments:

Post a Comment