Friday, April 8, 2022

Quote of the Week...from Yogi Berra

Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded.                       ---Yogi Berra

Hall of Fame catcher and slugger for the New York Yankees, the late Yogi Berra...who had a popular Hanna-Barbera cartoon figure named after him (not the other way around as I believed when I was a little kid)...had a Zen-like predisposition for making quotes that seemed self-contradictory: the above is a perfect example. Major League Baseball belatedly began its regular season yesterday after a prolonged management/labor contract dispute...thought I'd throw in something today "kind of" related to it.  Like some mathematical formulas I've encountered that at first look make no sense, Yogi's above quote actually is pretty profound...if you look at it more deeply.  I've concluded over the years that there is a large subgroup of the human race that is attracted, like swarming insects, to crowds...once a threshold is crossed they just keep on coming in droves.  That's why a place like Starbucks constantly has very long drive-through lines while other places like the Scooter's near my house go on and on without any line at all, even through their coffees and sandwiches are superior, in my opinion, with comparable prices.  There are local eating establishments that attract residents like flies even though their food and service are no better than with any other place.  I do not understand these people, and therefore...like Yogi...exclude them from my notion of "nobody", which he should have more accurately stated "nobody I know" or "nobody I think isn't a complete fool".  I've seen the long line phenomenon in stores as well...why is everyone in these long lines over here while, with a little walk over there exists a perfectly normal one that folks are avoiding?  Doesn't make sense, unless you conclude that there are "people" out there with a vastly differently perspective on things, including the idea that being immersed in a crowd justifies their existence...like a swarming insect, I suppose.  I guess the Woodstock experience, superchurches and other mass concerts are variations of this, as well as the thoroughly creepy Trump rallies that crop up from time to time here and there.  I don't know these people...

No comments:

Post a Comment