Gainesville has a relatively new municipal park, Headwaters, located on NW 45th Avenue between US 441 and Norton Elementary School...its name refers to the renowned Hogtown Creek that runs through the northwestern part of town. Florida Track Club hosts an annual event there, the Headwaters 5K (3.1 miles), taking place in April. I ran it last year, the first public race I entered since the Covid-19 epidemic broke out the previous year...and it was also the last one I ran before my thoracic surgeon, after ten years of annual testing, finally advised me to go ahead with open heart surgery involving both heart valve replacement and aortic aneurism repair. That happened on 7/15/21, and today's race marks the sixth one I've run since recovery. The conditions were perfect for running...well, I would have preferred a lower humidity...but the temperature was around 50 at 8 am. There were plenty of folks there to brave the slightly hilly race through a very shady and pretty section of northern Gainesville...and the Florida Track Club people and volunteers were, as usual, the best with their friendliness and encouraging attitude. We started on NW 45th Avenue near US 441 and went straight west, past Norton Elementary, to NW 24th Boulevard. Then we turned north on it and went to NW 53rd Avenue, turning right again onto the cool, wide bike/pedestrian trail that runs all the way down to 39th Avenue...but we turned left at 45th and ran back to the park, where the finish line stood. I deliberately worked from early in the race to establish a faster level of pace, and it worked! My finishing time was 29:28, more than three minutes faster than that of last year's Headwaters run...and the first time in years I've broken 30 minutes in a 5K. They were serving breakfast there following the race, but I wanted to get back home, wash up, and snooze a bit. Click HERE for the race results. I like the proximity of this race to my home and, already being an FTC member, it was free...I'd like to make it an annual tradition...
Saturday, April 9, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment