Saturday, April 16, 2022

Old Twilight Zone Episode Presents False Choices

My daughter Rebecca reminded me the other day that the free Pluto channel (available on Roku...in that sense I suppose it isn't free) offers episodes from the old Twilight Zone series.  I watched one of my favorites with comedian Shelley Berman delivering a great, very funny performance in The Mind and the Matter.  He plays the frustrated Archibold Beechcroft, who is fed up with all the people around him in overcrowded New York City as he struggles against the tide of humanity to make it to and from his office job at an (overcrowded) insurance company.  A helpful and sympathetic young colleague gives him a book, titled The Mind and the Matter, which leads Beechcroft to employ its principles of concentration to get rid of all the people...after a day of being around no one he decides it's too boring and then makes everyone around him just like himself.  After seeing how negative and cynical he is in the faces and actions of the other "Beechcrofts", he decides to make everything the way it was before and resigns himself to his hassle-filled, harassed existence.  But from the first time I saw this episode I realized that he had made a false choice...Beechcroft could have made it so that there were only half as many people...and made them to be from a list of those he liked the most.  But I guess it would have made for a much longer story, and besides, the moral of this episode is that we should learn to be more content in our circumstances. Of course, the dude could have just moved somewhere else or picked a different line of work.  I'm getting a kind of deva vu feeling about this article...I wrote about this episode before: I guess the topic of false choices needed a little repetition.  I imagine, in fact, that most of the time it's the little things done differently that, over time, can have a profoundly major effect on our lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment