I'm currently adjusting the focus with my distance running, seeing how the temperatures are turning upward in mid-April and destined to go into the 90s during the subsequent months of spring and summer. Races in Alachua County where I reside, aside from the weekly Saturday morning Depot Parkrun 5Ks, have dwindled to a precious few...and none seem to go beyond that distance. I had been wondering whether the May Day Glow Run was going to resume this year, after the lengthy Covid hiatus. It's a 5K race held in Jonesville, a little west of Gainesville, in the Arbor Greens subdivision off Newberry Road. The gimmick with it is that it is held at sundown, and plastic glowsticks are distributed to the runners to carry around them while racing. At last look, it's scheduled for May 7th but with registration closed (!!!). Seeing that proceeds from the race go to a local Gainesville private school, you might think they'd get things straight on the website to get the funds flowing and enthusiasm encouraged...then again, I might either be out of town or at work anyway on that day. In any event, I intend to run at least one Depot Parkrun event per month and hold the long distances to slow training runs (with intermittent walking breaks if called for) until the fall, when both cooler weather and longer races return. Florida Track Club, of which I am a member, is holding track meets from time to time during these hotter months...unfortunately, they are all scheduled at times during which I am at work. They're planning on a 10K event in October and a half-marathon in November...looking forward to both of them. In the meantime, I'll pretty much be running around home...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment