Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone. ---Alan Watts
The above quote I've seen countless times on my Music Choice Soundscapes channel, which rotates a number of sayings from various diverse sources. The source of this one is Alan Watts (1915-73), a seeker who started out as an Episcopalian priest and later delved into Eastern religions and philosophy, one of the "gurus" of the counterculture movement of the late 60s and early 70s. His quote is figurative: the applied meaning is that in many occasions it's best not to draw out conflicts and troublesome situations by overanalyzing and bringing them up over and over again with other people...once the different parties know where each of them stand and are fully informed of the situation, better to back off and let the matter rest. That doesn't mean that I don't have my own strongly held opinions on different issues, and I use this blog as a forum to express them...others are free and welcome to do likewise, as setting up a blog like this one is free and easy, even for the Internet-challenged person that I am. Also, although I think that it's useful to go back into my own memories and see where I went wrong at times...as well as when others went wrong...continually replaying past offenses and failures in the present can only magnify their importance. A good strategy in this regard is, when remembering something negative in my past, for me to stop and write down what I learned from it and then what specific positive change in my current life I can make as a result. And then walk away and let the muddy waters grow still and clear...
No comments:
Post a Comment