In Major League Baseball I was greatly disappointed that the Tampa Bay Rays lost their opening-round series against Boston three games to one, with two very close games at the end deciding it. Now the Red Sox have begun their American League Championship Series against the Houston Astros...I'm rooting for Boston now but yesterday they lost their opening game 5-4. This afternoon that series will continue, shown on FoxSports1 (Gainesville Cox Channel 62), while in the evening TBS (Channel 67) will show the opening contest of the National League Championship Series between the Atlanta Braves and Los Angeles Dodgers. Although I was happy to see Atlanta defeat the Milwaukee Brewers in their series to get this far, it was tough seeing how poor umpiring wrecked any chances of the San Francisco Giants, down 2-1 with a runner on base and two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in the final deciding game against Los Angeles. The batter, already with two strikes, clearly checked his swing on a ball outside the strike zone...but the first base umpire called him out, prematurely ending the game and the series. That's not to say the batter wouldn't have failed on the next pitch or the Giants would have come back to win the game, but it shouldn't have been shut down that way. In any event, I'm pulling for the Braves to upset the Dodgers...a little strange since Atlanta will have the home field advantage because they won their own division (with an 88-73 record) and Los Angeles qualified as a wild card team (at 106-56). The worst World Series scenario I see is also the most probable: Houston (groan) with their tarnished legacy of cheating vs. Los Angeles. If that happens I'm rooting for LA, but Atlanta is now my number one team, followed by Boston...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment