On Thursday, July 15th I underwent aortic valve replacement surgery as well as aortic aneurism repair, at the Shands Cardiovascular hospital. It was necessary to perform open heart surgery that involved splitting my ribs, so recovery has necessarily been a more painful and drawn out process than had I only needed the valve replaced. After some post-operatic concerns I was finally released this past Saturday and am now at home. In case you're wondering how I wrote daily blog articles through all this, I didn't, having written about three weeks of articles in advance. I was first diagnosed with the aneurism and bicuspid valve, the latter a defect that I've unknowingly had my whole life, in early 2012 and had been getting annual examinations as to the aneurism's size and the valve's appearance. My thoracic surgeon, who I've had through this whole process, this past April decided it was time for the operation, and after some initial hesitancy I agreed. He had given me his assent to engage in physical activity (such as running) that did not involve lifting heavy weights...while being careful to monitor my reactions. After I've fully recovered I want to return to running, but for now my goal is to gradually get better while keeping my lungs cleared...
Monday, August 2, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment