Modern man has virtually everything one could desire, but too often we’re still not fulfilled. “Things” don’t bring happiness. Some of my finest moments came while running down the open road, little more than a pair of shoes and shorts to my name. A runner doesn’t need much. Thoreau once said that a man’s riches are based on what he can do without. Perhaps in needing less, you’re actually getting more.
---Dean Karnazes
I've never been much of a materialist and don't quite relate with those who are...when it comes to material affluence, I believe in the concept of "enough". Enough to eat, enough shelter, enough transportation, enough whatever. Investing great amounts of time, effort and attention at going far beyond that has never made much sense to me...besides, I've discovered that the greatest things in life don't cost much or involve accumulating "stuff". I've long been a fan of ultra-distance runner Dean Karnazes, whose autobiographical book Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner, is on my Kindle and often referred to. Running is the ultimate nonmaterialism activity, in my opinion. Karnazes lays out his life philosophy in this book. Being pretty successful by the world's standards in both academics and business, he realized at a crucial point in his life...specifically his 30th birthday...that the materialistic dog-eat-dog, keep up with the Joneses version of the American dream was empty and meaningless. And he returned to his earlier love of running and never looked back. I can relate to his experiences, although to be perfectly frank I don't think I ever bought into the consumer society to which the vast majority of those around me seem to be in bondage. And some of my own finest moments have also come while running down the open road...if you've never run distance you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Not that you can't spend a bit of money on running...and I do to the extent that I invest in good shoes (I'm in need of a new pair), have a gym membership that I plan to use more when the pandemic abates, and likewise enter a fair number of races which should hopefully resume in the not-too-distant future. But to just step out my door and trudge down the road on my own course: priceless...
No comments:
Post a Comment