Monday, November 2, 2020
My #8 All-Time Favorite Song: For My Lady by the Moody Blues
My #8 favorite song, from my recently compiled list of 500 all-time personal favorites, is FOR MY LADY by the Moody Blues. It comes off their 1972 album Seventh Sojourn, which features singles hits Isn't Life Strange (#422 on my list) and Just a Singer (in a Rock n' Roll Band). For My Lady, which is the album's contribution by my favorite "Moody"...flutist Ray Thomas...was a common staple at the time on album rock radio, where it first captured my attention. It has a seafaring, romantic theme to it and to me is one of the all-time greatest love songs...if not the greatest. Thomas' flute contributes to the song's mystical, dreamy atmosphere as he sings "My boat sails stormy seas, battles oceans filled with tears. At last my port's in view, now that I've discovered you." From the first time I heard it I liked this piece and over the years have always placed it high among my all-time favorites. Back in early 1972 I was in a generally introspective, philosophical frame of mind and this great song often played around in my head as I mused about this thing or that. This list of my 500 all-time favorite songs has its share of Ray Thomas songs, with his Legend of a Mind (#26), Flying (#46) and Lazy Day (#60)...he also collaborated with bandmate John Lodge on Are You Sitting Comfortably (#105). He is also responsible for the beautiful, haunting flute solo on the Moody Blues' famous song Nights in White Satin (#122)...I guess you can surmise that I'm a big fan of this band! Ray Thomas sadly passed away at age 76 on January 4th, 2018...he was a largely unrecognized giant in the music industry and his works should endure for a long, long time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment