Saturday, March 21, 2020
Just Finished Reading The Van Gogh Deception by Deron Hicks
A few weeks ago Melissa and I were walking through Ollie's, a discount store located at Main Street and Northeast 23rd Avenue here in Gainesville. They have a large book section and I picked out The Van Gogh Deception, a 2017 teen adventure novel by Deron Hicks...for just $1.99. I just finished reading it and thought it had all the features necessary for an exciting yarn...sympathetic protagonists, mysteries to solve, a wily and ruthless mastermind enemy, many close calls, a suspenseful ending...plus the addition of educational value as great works of art are presented as well as a guide to much of Washington, D.C. A boy is discovered in the National Gallery of Art sitting in front of a sculpture...he has no memory of his identity or why he is there. Taken into protective custody by the police, he is handed over to Mary Sullivan, a young editor for a publishing firm, for temporary foster care. Mary has a daughter, Camille, who herself assumes a protective role over "Art", as she calls him. Meanwhile Dorchek Palmer, a wealthy adventurer-turned-master criminal along the lines of Superman's Lex Luther, uses his high-tech skills and henchmen to track down the young boy, who seems to be the central figure in a grand art hoax scheme with $183 million dollars at stake. The author presents the narrative from different characters' perspectives, each section headed by the precise time and location...I liked that. But what I liked the most about this book was how Deron Hicks inserted barcodes alongside the text whenever an art work was mentioned...using a QR reader app on my phone I was able to view the actual works on my phone screen: really cool. And I thoroughly enjoyed the convoluted way at the end in how the story was resolved. Two thumbs up from me on this story...I wonder what else Mr. Hicks has written...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment