Sunday, March 22, 2020

Coronavirus Distancing Prompts Me to Increase Social Media Presence

As this coronavirus pandemic begins to make itself felt more acutely with the numbers of those testing positive for it continuing to double nationally every two or three days, eventually its pervasiveness among the general population is making social distancing much more of a reasonable proposition, even among my extroverted friends who seem to have the notion deeply embedded within themselves that only through regular, close contact with groups of people can they enjoy any meaning in life.  I'm the opposite, pretty much on the extreme-introvert end of the scale, but still try to maintain some interaction with others...this blog's a major example.  I post links to its articles daily on Facebook and Twitter and maintain Facebook friendships with some 200+ people.  In light of the increasing physical isolation in our country, mandated either by the government, businesses or the disease itself, I've decided to send out many more friend requests in the next day or two...focusing on those people I know, although sometimes admittedly not very well with the possibility that some of them may not know me at all.  Also, I intend to be more active on both Facebook and Twitter about interacting on these sites in an appropriate and respectful way with friends and those I follow by commenting on their posts.  I think it's important for folks to keep connected and social media can serve well to alleviate some of the social disorientation which this season of mandated isolation could bring about...

No comments:

Post a Comment