When I heard back in January 2016 of David Bowie's death from cancer, I was at the same time stunned to discover that he had just released a breakthrough album titled Blackstar, along with the incredible ten-minute-long title track and bizarre accompanying video. It gave me pause as I had assumed he was just another aging former rock star with an occasional mediocre album release...hardly the case as I went through his catalogue of great albums, many produced in his later years. Well, I think I'm discovering the same about Beatles great Paul McCartney, although thankfully he's still going strong at age 76. Late last year Paul released his latest album, Egypt Station, and it's full of wonderful music, evoking my memories of him as a Beatle and in his first two solo releases with his penchant for rich melodic ballads and a few rockers as well. His voice seems not to have changed one iota over the years...the lyrics on this album are personal and honest, sung with great feeling. Not that I liked every track...that's a rare feat for any album...but there are six that I like so much that, at this early stage of 2019, I have to regard them as my top six favorite songs of 2019. Here they are in order of my liking:
1 CAESAR ROCK
2 I DON'T KNOW
3 HAND IN HAND
4 HAPPY WITH YOU
5 DOMINOES
6 HUNT YOU DOWN/NAKED/C-LINK
If you miss the old melodic genius of Paul McCartney when he was decades younger, I think you're in for a pleasant surprise if you check out this latest album...it's definitely one of his best. Now, I think I'll check out some of his other later releases. The dude's still got that musical magic...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment