Friday, January 25, 2019

Quote of the Week...from Ernest Hemingway

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men.  True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.                                                 ---Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway, of course, was one the greatest American authors of the twentieth century...I've read his novels The Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, and For Whom the Bell Tolls...that last one is my favorite of his.  Most successful people, like Hemingway, are often esteemed for having risen above the masses with their chosen craft and they deserve commendation for this...I myself have a grudging admiration of standout NFL quarterback Tom Brady, despite the fact that he plays for a team I always root against.   And wanting to be better than everyone else is indeed a good goal...but only up to a point.  If that's all that is motivating us to succeed, I believe we probably will be very disappointed in the end and possibly just give up, "playing second fiddle", "backup", or "also-ran" not elements of our personal vocabulary.  I think that was the problem with another NFL player, Tim Tebow, who was more concerned about being seen as the "best" over others than working hard to improve himself into being the best player God had gifted him to be...so he left the sport.  Hemingway showed his wisdom and indicated to me by the above quote that even had he not achieved such acclaim for his writing, he still would have continued pursuing it as a personal commitment...a noble commitment.  What are the things we are committed to improving on...even without any assurance of tangible recognition from others?  I agree with Mr. Hemingway and suggest that here is where real nobility can be found...           

No comments:

Post a Comment