If a Republican other than Donald Trump...say one of the leading primary also-rans like Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio...had been elected president in 2016, I wonder how vastly different the media reaction and coverage would have been in terms of its negativity. Trump, if anything, has made the Democratic-leaning opposition lazy in that he serves up outrageous statements and actions almost on a daily basis, insulting people left and right and making all sorts of false claims. I have no doubt that if Cruz or Rubio were in there, we would have neither this governing-through Twitter nonsense nor the regular pandering to the political base with the campaign rallies. Instead, their messages would have been to the American people as a whole and that, although their policies may have been just as ideologically on the right as the current president's, they would have been more persuasive and less denunciatory in nature...in other words, more presidential. Not that the late night talk show hosts wouldn't have all sorts of nasty things to lead their shows off with against a Cruz or Rubio presidency...they'd just have to work a bit harder at it, that's all. And I say all this acknowledging that I, myself, am a Democrat. But look at what just happened recently in Washington...
At their annual March For Life rally in the nation's capital...one of the relatively rare protest demonstrations conducted by political conservatives...there was outrage expressed at an infamous photo and an accompanying short video of teenage boys, wearing those dumb "Make America Great Again" red hats that signify support for Donald Trump, appearing to be taunting a poor old, innocent American Indian who was just there beating a drum. How racist those kids are, the social media reaction virally went, they should be punished...and their Catholic school in Kentucky was actually considering suspending or expelling them when the situation's true context was revealed. The boys were just gathered there waiting for the bus to drive them back home when a different group of protesters approached and began to taunt them. Then the Indians came, with that drummer being the one to confront the boy, not the reverse. The young man just smiled back at the Indian, the photo was clicked, and the smear campaign began with opinion-makers taking off with the story and running with it...
It's this sort of thing that gives me pause during this time of torrential criticism of the current president and the Republicans. True, Donald Trump with his bullying, deriding nature has assuredly set much of the tone for the backlash from the left, but I feel that with even someone else in charge it would be much the same. I didn't vote for this president, but he is my president and I want him to succeed in the areas that he has the Constitutionally-mandated responsibility for. And one of the most supremely important areas is our national defense, which includes protecting our borders. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Trump was the one elected, like it or not, and Congress should be deferential to him in his role of Commander-in Chief...he, not they, should be in charge of border policy. Trump's mistake, however, was using an issue (the border wall) to hold the federal government...and eventually, the nation...hostage with a financial shutdown. Now any future president from either party will be able to point back to this precedent and do the same with their own pet issues...thanks a lot, Donald...
Now about this "national emergency" notion that has some screaming "dictator" and "martial law": declaring national emergencies has become commonplace during the past few administrations, regardless which party has been in power...it isn't that big of a deal, except to the ignorant. The only possible legal glitch for Trump declaring a national emergency at the border so that he can build his wall is that he might need to demonstrate a viable way to fund it...if he declares such an emergency it will certainly go to the courts, who lately seem to be the ones deciding on our border and immigration policies. I'd rather see everyone, from both parties, just get together, with recognized experts on the subject, and work out the best possible policy that optimizes expense with border protection. But that involves folks in D.C. being reasonable for a change, so good luck with that...
No, this border wall issue is not what disturbs me about this president. My biggest concern is that he has been somehow compromised by the Russian regime of Vladimir Putin and is doing his bidding, however subtlety. It's already been established that the Russians didn't influence the 2016 election by hacking and manipulating voting machines, but they did infiltrate social media with intentions to sway the election against Clinton and for Trump. But I imagine every country in the world (including the U.S.) with interests in other countries are always trying to influence their elections...that is, when the countries they want to affect actually hold free elections. I don't hold Trump and his cronies responsible for collusion or conspiracy...I instead hold those American voters responsible who bought this crap and let it influence their decisions. So is Trump somehow beholden to Putin?...that's the only thing I wonder about now. And if Mueller can't answer that in his investigation, it doesn't do me any good in terms of resolving this whole sordid affair...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment