Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Tuesday's List: Last Six Amendments to Fla Constitution on Ballot

Today I'm continuing my discussion from last Tuesday about the proposed amendments to Florida's state constitution with Amendments Seven through Thirteen, using the very good website Be Ready to Vote. Amendment Eight was struck by the state supreme court, so we're left with six. Several of these frustrate me because they're essentially bundled amendments with different parts to them. Many of the proposals are already a part of state law, but for some reason people somewhere feel the need to enshrine them as part of the constitution. I'll have to be honest here: I'm a bit skeptical about this idea of ordinary people, without the benefit of trained professional staff and legal and scientific experts, directly making sweeping constitutional decisions...our elected representatives in this republic of ours are supposed to be doing this! Still, the questions are there on the ballot, and I'm determined to decide for myself on them one way or another, for better or for worse...it's almost like a crap shoot with some of these questions, though...

7 FIRST RESPONDER AND MILITARY MEMBER SURVIVOR BENEFITS; PUBLIC COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES

Exactly what mandating first responder death benefits has to do with requiring a supermajority on college governing boards to increase tuitions is beyond me, but they're lumped together in this strange proposed amendment. I agree with the part that adds paramedics and emergency technicians to the first responder designation...I always thought they already were. I have no opinion about the college part of this proposal, and I want death benefits to go out the way it's described...even though it's not indicated exactly how they'll be funded. Still, I think it's a good gesture and I'm voting "yes"...

8 SCHOOL BOARD TERM LIMITS AND DUTIES; PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Removed from ballot by court.

9 PROHIBITS OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS DRILLING; PROHIBITS VAPING IN ENCLOSED INDOOR WORKPLACES
Another weird combo amendment. I'm against offshore oil and gas drilling, but think that making rules about vaping in enclosed indoor workplaces should be a matter for each organization to decide for itself...for the record, I've never smoked a single cigarette and therefore have no personal interest in vaping. The ban on the drilling is already part of state law...why do we have to make every piece of already-passed legislation part of the constitution? I'm voting "no" because the vaping section overreaches...

10 STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT STRUCTURE AND OPERATION
This one sets specific dates for the convening of the state legislature and makes Florida's already-established Dept. of Veterans Affair constitutionally-mandated: so who's trying to abolish it? And it mandates elections for sheriff and other public offices for all counties, affecting only five of our sixty-seven. I don't yet know how I'm voting: this proposal seems inconsequential to me...


11 PROPERTY RIGHTS; REMOVAL OF OBSOLETE PROVISION; CRIMINAL STATUTES
The main thing this amendment does is to remove the obligation of the state to pursue criminal charges against someone after the law on which the prosecution is based is changed...sounds like a no-brainer to me. Also there's supposedly an old state law allowing for messing with the property rights of non-citizens that will go by the wayside if this amendment is approved...I'm voting "yes"...

12 LOBBYING AND ABUSE OF OFFICE BY PUBLIC OFFICIALS
In essence this proposed amendment extends the time span that legislators, statewide elected officials, and judges must wait until they are allowed to go into lobbying...from two to six years. There's also a provision prohibiting state officials from receiving "disproportionate benefits" from their employment. Sounds like a good amendment, voting "yes"...

13 ENDS DOG RACING
Well, this one seems simple enough: should we finally end pari-mutuel gambling on dog races? The sport/industry has been in decline for some with few tracks remaining in the state. I have childhood memories of my father being a big greyhound racing enthusiast, although I think he got a little carried away with it all, including the gambling aspect. It's sad that there's been documented abuse of these beautiful animals...I always enjoyed watching them run their little races during the few times I attended them. I'm voting "no" because I want to give the people running these tracks and caring for these dogs a chance to turn their profession around and return it to a more prominent place in Florida as an entertainment destination. After all, we are a tourism-oriented state...


No comments:

Post a Comment