I'll read my books and I'll drink coffee and I'll listen to music and I'll bolt the door.
---J.D. Salinger
J.D. Salinger is the author of the great 1951 literary anthem to teenage angst and alienation, The Catcher in the Rye. I can identify with his above quote in that I know the things I want to do and it immensely frustrates me when the world around me seems to conspire to prevent me from doing them. I also like books, coffee, music...and bolted doors: I'm about to start Robert Heinlein's 1957 science fiction novel The Door into Summer, I have a cup of hazelnut-flavored coffee in front of me, I'm a fan of classical music, classic rock, alternative/indie rock, and heavy metal...and my doors are bolted and locked. My personality leads me to be a recluse, and I have to fight each day to resist the temptation to completely shut out the world from my life...with mixed results, some days being better than others. But I'm blessed to have a wonderful wife who helps keep me connected, as well as a pretty doggone good job to go to with some fantastic people. I also try to get outside and run...not just for exercise or personal achievement, but also to be a part of that world that I'm inclined to shun. This blog has been very helpful to me as well, establishing a mostly daily habit of writing and engaging others with my thoughts on a variety of topics. And sometimes (not tonight) I'll deliberately go out to a Starbucks to write or study, just to be in a social setting...plus I like their coffee, of course. It's good to get out among others...and it's also good to be at home around oneself...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment