Saturday, September 29, 2018
Just Finished Reading The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks
The Blinding Knife, by Brent Weeks, is the second book in his ongoing Lightbringer fantasy series. On this imaginary world, colors and certain people's abilities to turn them into a tangible substance called "luxin" determine the social and political order and power structure. The author went into agonizing detail explaining it all in the first book...he was more merciful in this one, thankfully. Kip Guile is a boy with special abilities concerning all the known colors, but neither he nor others know the full extent of his powers. His presumed father, Gavin Guile (or is it his brother Dazen) is the Prism, charged with the burdensome task of ensuring that all the colors of the world remain in a state of balance...otherwise the color gods will rise up and divide and plunge the world into chaos and destruction. But Gavin has been stabbed with a special white dagger and so has begun to lose his ability to control colors...yes, it all sounds a bit silly the way I describe it, doesn't it? In the meantime his new nemesis, Lord Omnichrome, is leading a war of rebellion against the Chromeria, Gavin's group. There are lots of other characters and subplots involved here, but I'm just not going to list them. One reason is that describing books within series like this can inadvertently involve giving away some of what happened in previous volumes and I don't want to be a plot spoiler. I will say this much: the various characters, many in dire opposition to each other, often are related...sometimes closely...with some of them ignorant of this. It's all very convoluted on many levels, something I find a bit distasteful. I understand that the author intends to extend this Lightbringer series to several books, making me wonder why I started reading it in the first place. After all, I really don't want to be in my late seventies or early eighties, wondering when Book Number Nine or Ten is going to come out. I've read long fantasy series, notably Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time and Terry Goodkind's The Sword of Truth. But I began these projects knowing that the authors had already completed writing them and that I could read them in rapid succession...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment