Saturday, September 1, 2018

Just Finished Reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

A few days ago on this blog I listed the top 51 fantasy book series according to BuzzFeed...Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy was #8.  So when I discovered that my son Will had already read it and left behind the first two volumes, I sat down to read it for myself...and I just finished reading the first book, titled The Blade Itself...

Abercrombie lifted his title from a saying by Homer, which he inserted at the beginning: The blade itself incites to violence.  And The Blade Itself is full of sharp, deadly blades, as well as all kinds of gratuitous, gory violence: squeamish readers beware.  If you can handle it, though, you might find, as I did, that not only is the story interesting, but the characters are deep and unforgettable.  It all takes place on another one of those fantasy worlds with its own continents, islands, nations, magic, history...and, of course, wars.  The narrative jumps around among its main characters:

 ---Logen "Ninefingers", a Northman (Viking-like) warrior with a long resume of wartime atrocities and now an outcast from his old ruler Bethod's empire.
 ---Inquistitor Glokta, a cynical yet strangely compelling figure, formerly a war hero but reduced to near-crippled status after his torture while a POW...right now he's my favorite character.
 ---Jezal, an inexperienced and somewhat pompous nobleman who is talented at fencing but virtually ignorant about the realities of war.
 ---First Magi Bayaz, a powerful wizard with a dark side who seems to want to do good.
 ---Collem West, a practical, courageous, and sympathetic officer.
 ---The Dogman, a friend and fellow fighter for Logen who, after their separation, sets out with his comrades to fight their enemies.
  ---Ferro, an abused former slave from the south with a single-minded passion for revenge. 

The United Empire is being attacked from the north, by Bethod's Northmen, and from the south, by the Gurkul Empire (which resembles loosely the early Muslim caliphates).   And then there are the Flatheads, or Shanka, in the far north that may eventually threaten the whole world.  It is in this context of conflict that the above characters (and others) find themselves...

One thing that bugged me with this book was the incredible number of names introduced, making it difficult to keep up with references to characters or places brought up earlier: I decided to write down each new name, with the page number, whenever I found one.  The other problem I had was: no map! In fantasy fiction, if you're going to make a big deal about its geography, then you'd better provide a map as well...but Abercrombie didn't.  Being a totally map-oriented kind of guy, I did find a useful one on the internet and have been using it ever since...

I'm already close to 200 pages through the next book in this series, titled Before They Are Hanged...and, yes, the title is derived from yet another famous line.  My son picked a good series to read...I'm intensely interested in seeing what happens to the different characters, as well as how some of the mysteries are explained in the end.  So far, I think it merits its high ranking from BuzzFeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment