Friday, August 31, 2018

Quote of the Week...from Alberto Salazar

We may train or peak for a certain race, but running is a lifetime sport.   ---Alberto Salazar

Alberto Salazar was known for excelling at the marathon in the early 1980s...now he is a track coach and running instructor.  This quote of his is true, with an important qualification. After all, a lot of folks, especially as they age, may find themselves physically unable to continue running even if they enjoyed it earlier in their lives.  That having been noted, what Salazar said resonates with me: when I look at the calendar and see an upcoming race, that motivates me to want to train more for it.  But when I sit back and reflect upon running, it is the daily activity and my experiences while training that ultimately define it for me.  My problem is that I have numerous little afflictions that come up from time to time, requiring me to take a few days off from running.  I also live in northern Florida, which for much of the year features hot and humid weather and works against just stepping outside anytime and jogging for a few miles.  I have run my share of races at different distances, but it has been the times when I regularly went out running on my own that ultimately that have brought me the most satisfaction.  This summer has been especially noteworthy for its heat and mugginess...I'm hoping that September will bring more hospitable conditions, if only slightly.  And with that, here's my August, 2018 running report...

In August I ran a total of 72 miles with 5 miles being my longest single run.  I missed 4 days from running due to an upper respiratory infection, which I'm still struggling to completely recover from (one of those little afflictions I earlier referred to).  I'll turn 62 in October and I'd like to take my running to a higher level by covering longer distances while at the same time adjusting my regular running pace to a level that is more conducive to where I am at in life.  I'd like to continue participating in races as they come up, but with the main goal of getting through to the finish line without so much stress on how fast I run them.  If I'm to successfully see running as a lifetime sport for me, as Alberto Salazar claims, then I'll need to make a few adjustments here and there...

No comments:

Post a Comment