On Memorial Day yesterday I worked and got off at ten at night. Upon getting home I surfed the TV channels and rested upon Turner Classic Movies, which was showing the tail end of the classic 1963 World War II flick The Great Escape. It's about a Nazi German POW camp composed mainly of British prisoners, along with several from other countries...including an American, played by Steve McQueen. They plot an elaborate escape through a tunnel...those who get out must improvise to find a way to get to Spain or Switzerland as their pursuers gain on them. A really exciting film this was...I was about ten when I first saw it. At that time I was a big fan of the series The Man from U.N.C.L.E., so the character I focused on was that played by David McCallum, who portrayed Russian spy Illya Kuryakin on the popular spy series. Later it became clear that many of the cast in The Great Escape went on to become big screen stars and made several movies, some of which I saw (and a lot of which I didn't, not being a major moviegoer). So I picked some from the cast and listed the movies they appeared in that I saw...as well as TV series they starred in...and ranked them in order of my liking. The Great Escape was a great movie...watch it sometime if you haven't yet seen it...
STEVE MCQUEEN (1930-1980)
1 PAPILLON
2 THE GETAWAY
3 THE GREAT ESCAPE
4 THE TOWERING INFERNO
5 TOM HORN
Didn't see: The Sand Pebbles, The Magnificent Seven, Bullitt, The Thomas Crown Affair
JAMES GARNER (1928-2014)
1 THE GREAT ESCAPE
2 THE ROCKFORD FILES (TV)
3 MAVERICK (TV)
Didn't see: Murphy's Law
RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH (1923-2014)
1 THE GREAT ESCAPE
Didn't see: The Sand Pebbles, Doctor Dolittle
JAMES DONALD (1917-1993)
1 THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
2 THE GREAT ESCAPE
Didn't see: The Pickwick Papers, David Copperfield
CHARLES BRONSON (1921-2003)
1 TELEFON
2 THE DIRTY DOZEN
3 THE MECHANIC
4 THE GREAT ESCAPE
5 DEATH WISH 2
6 DEATH WISH
7 MR. MAJESTYK
8 TWO (Twilight Zone Episode)
9 DEATH WISH 3
Didn't see: The Magnificent Seven, Once Upon a Time in the West, Murphy's Law
DONALD PLEASENCE (1919-1995)
1 THE CHANGING OF THE GUARD (Twilight Zone Episode)
2 YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
3 THE GREAT ESCAPE
4 THE MAN WITH THE POWER (Outer Limits Episode)
5 HALLOWEEN II
6 HALLOWEEN
7 ANY OLD PORT IN A STORM (Columbo episode)
JAMES COBURN (1928-2002)
1 DUCK, YOU SUCKER! (aka A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE)
2 OUR MAN FLINT
3 THE OLD MAN IN THE CAVE (Twilight Zone episode)
4 THE GREAT ESCAPE
5 IN LIKE FLINT
6 THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST
7 MIDWAY
8 ....and of course all those Schlitz Light commercials
Didn't see: The Magnificent Seven
DAVID MCCALLUM (1933-)
1 THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. (TV Series)
2 THE SIXTH FINGER (Outer Limits episode)
3 THE GREAT ESCAPE
4 TEACHER, TEACHER (Hallmark Hall of Fame episode)
5 THE FORM OF THINGS UNKNOWN (Outer Limits episode)
As you can see, good ol' David McCallum is the only one of the above still alive...may Napoleon Solo's sidekick keep pushing on ahead!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment