The idea of seeking others with my common interests makes sense, at least on the surface. I’m a runner, so why not enter races and hobnob around with fellow runners...we’ve all got that particular interest in common, right? Or if I’m a writer, hang out with other writers. Or since I like to read, go join a book reading group in town. Like playing chess? Then join the chess club. Studying one or more foreign languages? Seek out those with the same linguistic interest. I did something like this in high school when I joined their astronomy club, only to discover that I had absolutely nothing in common with anyone else there. The fact is that my way of viewing life and conceptualizing things can diverge from others to the point where being around them drains me of energy and causes within me feelings of alienation and/or oppression...even if we supposedly like the same things. The immediate impulse I feel in reaction is to just seek solitude and become a recluse. Now I believe there is a better alternative...but it’s a bit more difficult and involves more of a social outreach on my part...
How does one find like-minded people to associate with? First of all, I need to be sure of my own beliefs and orientations. Then I can observe others who, at least outwardly, may display the same general way of looking at things as myself. But only time and continual, proactive and honest engagement on my part will ultimately determine whether they are truly who I think they are or instead just mimicking what they think I may be expecting from them. But I’m certain that I’d feel more commonality with others, even if our respective interests were vastly different, if their basic approach to living resonated with mine...
No comments:
Post a Comment