I've been doing something this evening I have steadfastly avoided over previous decades: watching the Grammy Awards on TV. It started at eight and, at this writing, there is still about an hour and a half left. Late night talk show host James Corden is doing a good job hosting it...so far I've only heard one direct political barb against our new president, with Corden inserting it into an almost undecipherable opening rap/rant. The nominees, by and large, are the usual bunch of established acts like Adele, Bruno Mars, Beyoncé, Alicia Keyes, Carrie Underwood, Kanye West, Justin Bieber, Keith Urban, while a few new ones...most notably (to me) Lukas Graham and Twenty One Pilots, are talented and have some good music out there. Most of the winners this year are no surprises...literally, they've been announced in advance, maybe so that an astonished, dismayed, and drunken Kanye West won't once again rush up onstage in anger in case Beyoncé fails to win in a category...as a matter of fact, I haven't yet seen our first declared candidate for president in 2020. But there are a few categories, it seems, that will have to wait for the final announcement...so Trump's successor Kanye may be waiting in the wings somewhere. As for Beyoncé, she is a consummate, talented performer with a great singing voice; my problem is how so intensely many seem to idolize her...then again, I grew up during the Beatlemania years and some folks were more than a little nuts over them, too. And sorry, I've never been able to figure out Adele and her popularity...I think Regina Spektor should instead be a number one hits superstar, up for multiple awards. Unfortunately, she seems to be nominated for nothing this year in spite of her great album from 2016 titled Remember Us to Life. I was very heartened to find out that the late David Bowie won multiple awards, including one for best rock song, Blackstar, which to me is truly the best song from 2016. He also won for best alternative rock album, also titled Blackstar...
No, I don't care for much of the music being aired here on the Grammys...but I believe that the way this show has been conducted (so far) is far classier and more professionally done than were the MTV Video Awards a few months ago, one of the more unpleasant (putting it lightly) spectacles ever to disgrace my television screen...