Monday, February 13, 2017

Mixed Feelings About Warm Winters of Late

Here we are entering the middle of February, and I hear there are snowstorms in the northeastern part of the country.  Meanwhile, here in Gainesville it is a sunny, clear 78 degrees...little indication of winter as many trees and shrubbery continue with their greenery, unlike in years past when pretty much all you saw were bare branches everywhere.  And I also used to be able to go from late November until early March without the need to mow the lawn...forget that now, as well.  As far as I can remember, early 2011 was the last time we had a cold winter...I know that because back then my car's horn would get stuck around 28 degrees and suddenly go off honking uncontrollably in the early morning hours on a number of occasions.  Well, there's no danger of anything like that happening here anytime soon.  And then there was the first half-marathon I ever ran, the Five Points of Life Half-Marathon here in Gainesville on the morning of February 14th, nearly seven years ago: the temperature at starting time was a frigid 25-27 degrees.  The 2017 edition of this race will be held in less than two weeks, and I expect much warmer conditions.  Don't get me wrong: I'm not complaining too much about it being warmer, but I'd at least like for the highs not to rise too much beyond 70, at least for this season.  But of course, I'll take this current weather any day over the snow and ice in the north...