Sunday, February 19, 2017

Short Stay at Daytona Beach


For the extended President's Day weekend, Melissa and I decided to drive over to Daytona Beach and stay overnight at our favorite hotel here.  The above picture was taken in the late afternoon from our sixth floor balcony...that big shadow is of our hotel over the beach and water.  The patrol car is going by announcing the impending closing of the beach at night to automotive traffic.  I haven't been in the pools yet, but I did get in a nice 2.6 mile run at sunset along the shore to the Daytona Beach pier and back...the beach seems almost deserted, in sharp contrast to what it's like in the summertime or during major holidays.  I'm now writing this from that same balcony at night, overlooking the lighted pool and a burning fire pit warming up the surroundings...it is just a little bit on the chilly side right now and pretty breezy...still, for February this is warm...

We'll be leaving here for Gainesville sometime tomorrow afternoon.  I plan to make good use of the pool and get in another run...although temperatures are expected to climb into the 80s.  Yes, it's wintertime, or so they say...hard to believe with this unseasonably warm weather.  But for our purposes, Melissa and I are enjoying it all and appreciate the chance to take in a little break and a welcome change of scenery...