Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Not Too Keen on Christmas Rush

With five days until Christmas, I can really see the traffic around me pick up to a frantic level, with folks rushing about to get in their shopping and mailing before the "deadline".  Ever since late childhood I have never been a big fan of this boisterous, intense, loud, and materialistic holiday season.  I can see how it all can put a lot of pressure on people...it seems to be the antithesis of how the end of a calendar year should be spent.  After all, wouldn't it be better for each of us to instead reflect on what has happened this past year and what we have accomplished, and to consider how to better handle the upcoming one?  Sometimes in order to sort things out in my mind, I like to go to a solitary place that is quiet and not congested with civilization...just the opposite of the emphasis during this time of year on families and friends all coming together, making elaborate plans, and focusing their attention on "stuff".  Well, socializing, planning, and consuming are all good in moderation, but I think that this season over the years has gotten way out of hand.  Instead, for many it is typified by anxiety, worry, and depression.  The idea that we're all supposed to be in the holiday "spirit" and go around hopping and swaying to all the happy Christmas music just ain't my bag...and it never was.  I do think I'm getting a little more adjusted, though...I have yet to blurt out "bah humbug" this time around...