It was in 1964, when I was seven years old going on eight, that I began to consciously follow popular music on the radio...no doubt this is due in great part to the British Invasion spearheaded by the Beatles. Ever since then, I kept track of my favorite songs from each year, with one of them "winning" the title of my "song of the year". Now since then my musical tastes have changed, and there are usually several songs from different years that I prefer now to the "number ones". But keep in mind that these are my favorites from each year as I lived through them. I wonder if you know them all or if some are favorites of yours as well...
1964 Twist and Shout…..The Beatles
1965 I Can’t Explain…..The Who
1966 Time Won’t Let me…..The Outsiders
1967 All You Need Is Love…..The Beatles
1968 America…..Keith Emerson & The Nice
1969 Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In…..The Fifth Dimension
1970 Little Green Bag…..George Baker Selection
1971 I’ve Seen All Good People…..Yes
1972 Layla…..Derek and the Dominoes
1973 Hummingbird…..Seals and Crofts
1974 Number Nine Dream…..John Lennon
1975 Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding…..Elton John
1976 Livin’ Thing…..Electric Light Orchestra
1977 Song for America…..Kansas
1978 Love is Like Oxygen…..The Sweet
1979 What a Fool Believes…..The Doobie Brothers
1980 Another One Bites the Dust…..Queen
1981 Bette Davis Eyes…..Kim Carnes
1982 Abacab….Genesis
1983 In a Big Country…..Big Country
1984 Leave It…..Yes
1985 Everybody Wants to Rule the World…..Tears For Fears
1986 Live to Tell…..Madonna
1987 Luka…..Suzanne Vega
1988 What Have I Done to Deserve This…..Pet Shop Boys/Dusty Springfield
1989 Handle With Care…..Traveling Wilburys
1990 Blue Sky Mine…..Midnight Oil
1991 When the Levee Breaks (from 1971).….Led Zeppelin
1992 Dazed and Confused (from 1968).….Led Zeppelin
1993 Close to the Edge (from 1973).….Yes
1994 Let Me In…..REM
1995 My Wave…..Soundgarden
1996 Again…..Alice In Chains
1997 Naked Eye…..Luscious Jackson
1998 Fly Away…..Lenny Kravitz
1999 Scar Tissue…..Red Hot Chili Peppers
2000 Lord of the Boards…..Guano Apes
2001 Only Time…..Enya
2002 Here to Stay…..Korn
2003 There There…..Radiohead
2004 Look What You’ve Done…..Jet
2005 Soul Meets Body…..Death Cab For Cutie
2006 Vicarious…..Tool
2007 Starlight…..Muse
2008 Time to Pretend…..MGMT
2009 Casimir Pulaski Day.....Sufjan Stevens
2010 Us....Regina Spektor
2011 To Binge.....Gorillaz
2012 Firewood.....Regina Spektor
2013 Switchblade Smiles.....Kasabian
2014 Something From Nothing.....Foo Fighters
2015 Treat.....Kasabian
2016 Blackstar.....David Bowie