Monday, May 30, 2016

On This Memorial Day

On this Memorial Day of 2016, I remember and honor the fallen soldiers in our nation's wars, past and present.  I am one of those folks who respect their sacrifice for the sake of the mission and their fellow combatants...whether or not I personally think that the military action in itself was called for.  After all, it is the democratically-elected, civilian President who serves as Commander-in-Chief...and who is ultimately responsible for whatever combat results from his orders.  The soldiers are highly trained to actively support the mission to the best of their abilities, and to be willing to lay their lives down for it and for the safety of their fellow soldiers.  Sometimes I feel that this important distinction has been muddled in the past...the Vietnam War and the Iraq invasion and occupation come to mind.  Some of the mostly well-intentioned people who slapped "Support Our Troops" decals on their vehicles a few years ago may not have been doing so with the sole intent of honoring our brave men and women in the line of duty.  I think, sadly so, that this motto had an additional meaning for them: whatever the President decides (at least one with their political outlook) has to be supported because the troops who carry out those policies are in the line of fire.  The problem with this is when a president...such as Democrat Lyndon Johnson with Vietnam or Republican George W. Bush with Iraq...sends his forces into an untenable situation abroad and exposes them to death and injury without a viable strategy for ultimate victory and eventual withdrawal.  It, in my opinion, is an act of support for those troops sent into harm's way for Americans to openly express opposition to decisions that put them there without the "end-game" having been properly thought out.  Instead, I respect a president who is careful about committing our precious and courageous young men and women to dangerous situations to the point where he or she works ceaselessly to achieve positive results without having to do so...

Let's honor those brave American heroes who died for our country...and work to keep that list from growing needlessly...