Saturday, February 6, 2016

String of Good Soccer Matches on TV Today

Last Sunday I strained my back somehow while getting up from a chair.  So, for the past week, I've been struggling through life, functioning as best as I can at home and work, and gradually recovering from day to day.  Finally, I made to this weekend...whew!  Today, the first of my two days off, saw me sleeping late into the morning...in the process missing the important soccer match that NBC Sports (Gainesville's Cox Channel 33) was showing between English Premier League leader Leicester City and one of their main challengers, Manchester City.  Although few are giving upstart Leicester a chance to win the title, they keep holding their advantage in the league and are now, after 25 games and drubbing Manchester City 3-1 today (and on the road at that), 5 points ahead of second-place Tottenham (also a surprise contender).  And there are only 13 games left in the season.  What a turnaround from last year...

As late as the end of March in the 2014-15 season, Leicester City, just promoted from the second tier league Football League Championship, was deeply mired in last place with only 4 wins, 18 losses, 7 draws...and only 9 games left in the season.  Then, inexplicably, the Foxes caught fire and won 7 of those final games with only 1 loss and a draw, shooting out of last place and away from relegation (i.e. demotion to the next lower league).  They have kept up that torrid pace this year with their high powered offense, led by their star forward Jamie Vardy, who plays hard at both offense and defense...

So I missed that first game this morning, but I was able to toggle back and forth between the Tottenham-Watford and Liverpool-Sunderland matches.  Fox Sports was showing Germany's Bundesliga as well today: I got to see a couple of good matches earlier...Borussia Dortmund-Hertha Berlin and Bayern Munich-Bayer Leverkusen.  As I write this I'm watching the Borussia Mönchengladbach-Werder Bremen match (which is a replay from yesterday).  And I found out, that on two of my Spanish-language channels, three different Mexican Liga MX games will be shown this evening...

With the cold, dreary weather outside and the need for me to recuperate from that freak back strain, what could be better than to have a day off and an opportunity to watch my favorite sport?  Forget Super Bowl Sunday:  Soccer Saturday rules !!!