Sunday, February 7, 2016

Denver Defense Dominates Super Bowl

I was rooting for Denver, out of gratitude, to win this year's Super Bowl after they ruined the season of my Miami Dolphins' nemesis, the New England Patriots.  No, I've never cared for Peyton Manning...although his only fault in my eyes was that he was the quarterback of the also equally-hated Colts (for older Dolphins fans like me) for many years.  Still, I'm happy for him as it looks as if he will retire as a Super Bowl champion after his Broncos' defense destroyed the Carolina Panthers en route to a 24-10 championship tonight.  I just finished watching the game, but I concur with the TV announcers who believe that Denver's Von Miller, who caused two fumbles from Carolina's quarterback Cam Newton that led to the Broncos' two touchdowns, should be the game's MVP.  I was a little dismayed at the end, though, after Denver upped their advantage to 24-10...it seemed as if the Panthers had just given up, even though there was still a little time left to try to get back into the game.  But they punted on fourth down deep in their own territory, and by the time they got the ball back, it was too late to do anything...

This might be called by some an "ugly" game, but that's how it usually is when the defense dominates the opposing offense on the field.  Carolina's defense also contained Denver's offense, but the Broncos were able to cause more crucial, big turnovers to secure the win.  After the initial disappointment, I anticipate that Carolina and Cam will recover and make another good run at the title next year.  But I'll be pulling for Tampa Bay to improve enough to challenge them in their division in 2016...