Tuesday, October 20, 2015

A Look At My Favorite Soccer Leagues

I took a few minutes today, while watching a replay of the Bundesliga's match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich, to check out the soccer standings in the various leagues I'm interested in.  And by "interested in", I am referring to those leagues whose games are broadcast on my TV: Major League Soccer (for the U.S. and Canada), Mexico's Liga MX, England's Barclay's Premier League, and Germany's Bundesliga...

The Major League Soccer regular season is nearly over, with a game or two remaining.  "My" Orlando City, a first-year expansion team in the league, has distinguished itself with a respectable 12W-13L-8D season...but will just miss making the playoffs.  The two teams that have stood out this year are Dallas in the West and the New York Red Bulls in the East.  These two are now the only ones left vying for the league's best overall regular season record...and then the championship playoffs will start (involving 12 qualifying teams)...

Mexico's Liga MX also has a championship playoff season following its regular season...which is split into two parts.  The 2015 Apertura season is nearing its end, with four games left for most of the teams.  Right now, UNAM Pumas are leading the standings, while the team I follow, UANL Tigres, as usual, are thick in the playoff hunt (for which 8 teams will qualify)...

In England's Premier League, defending champion Chelsea is trying to recover after a horrendous season start.  Meanwhile, the other usual standout teams of Manchester City, Arsenal (my favorite), and Manchester United are leading the "table", in that order.  Since the end of last season, when cellar-dwelling Leicester City avoided relegation by erupting on a season-closing winning tear, I have been rooting for them, too...and they continue to do well, in 5th place in the standings so far...

Germany's Bundesliga has some of the best soccer I've seen...I'm glad that Fox Sports is broadcasting some of their games...just as I'm glad that NBC Sports shows the English league.  Bayern Munich is totally dominating the league so far, with no end to their phenomenal success in sight.  I probably enjoy watching them play more than any other team in any of the above four leagues because of their high level of skill and team coordination...

There's only so much time I have to watch TV, and with that there is only so much time that they are showing soccer.  I'm starting to get a little tired at the interruptions in the various leagues' schedules as the players go back for a while to play on their own countries' teams in national matchups...I couldn't have cared less who won between the U.S. and Mexico in their recent overhyped match.  I much prefer watching league competition...