Sunday, October 18, 2015

Just Finished Rereading Books by Asimov and Pullman

I just finished rereading two books from series I've enjoyed a few years ago.  One is science fiction writer Isaac Asimov's closing volume to his Foundation series, titled Foundation and Earth. The other is The Golden Compass, the opening book in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials fantasy series.  Perhaps you saw the movie based on this book. I didn't, and am rather glad: it wasn't much of a success and no others were made for the series...leaving viewers twisting in the wind with an unfinished story (the same happened with the movie Eragon). As for my review of this book...and the series as a whole...here is a link to my own blog article, written back in June, 2009, and titled Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. I enjoyed reading The Golden Compass this time around, largely due to the fact that I wasn't expending that much effort trying to understand the mysterious and somewhat complicated world that Pullman was presenting...

As for Foundation and Earth, I also enjoyed reading it once again. However, since one of the best things about this book was the surprise ending, I naturally didn't find it quite as gratifying as before.  The Asimov universe is comprised of many, many stories, books, and series and spans some 25,000 years in imagined future time.  And then, after he died in 1992, other science fiction writers wrote stories that belonged to this framework.  I'm not sure that I want to read any more stories by Isaac Asimov for a while...maybe later I'll read some of his many short stories, most of which I have stashed away somewhere in my garage...