As I have been working my way, in chronological order, through Sue Grafton's "Alphabet Mystery" series, I have just finished "T" is for Trespass. Because I was disappointed in her previous "R" is for Ricochet and "S" is for Silence (especially the latter), I was a little apprehensive about undertaking this next book in the series. As it turned out, I had no cause for concern: "T" is for Trespass is one of Grafton's best...
Our hero, California-based private sleuth Kinsey Millhone, finds herself in a war of wits and daring with Solana Rojas, a con artist and master of stealing identities. Solana, this sociopath's latest assumed name, has her own racket going whereby she "cares" for elderly people living alone...while robbing them and ultimately killing them, making the deaths appear to be natural. Kinsey's octogenarian and obnoxious neighbor Gus finds himself stuck with Solana and the fight is on, first to uncover the villain's designs and then to rescue Gus. I liked the suspense-filled struggle between Kinsey Millhone and Solana Rojas...it reminded me of the old confrontations between Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty...
"T" is for Trespass features a couple of other subplots, as Sue Grafton's stories usually do. One thing that became more noticeable with this book, published in 2007 but set back in 1988, is how Kinsey shows herself to be computer-illiterate as she is totally clueless about the use and function of floppy disks. The irony of this is that, by the book's release in 2007, a large segment of the computer world's users would also be clueless about floppy disks, albeit for a completely different reason: their obsolescence...