Saturday, August 15, 2015

Theme Park Rides: My Personal Favorites

As I mentioned in yesterday's article about theme parks, I have my own personal list of favorite thrill rides, including a few on a more subdued level.  Some of them are roller coasters, some aren't, and some are water park rides.  I haven't exactly been a theme park junkie like some people who travel across the country and even abroad to visit and compare the various parks and rides.  My experience is confined to a few parks within driving range of Gainesville, Dolly Parton's Dollywood in eastern Tennessee, and that one roller coaster in Dania, near Fort Lauderdale. First, I'll rank the parks I've been to (including water parks):

1 Busch Gardens-Tampa
2 Universal Islands of Adventure-Orlando
3 Wild Adventures-Valdosta
4 Disney World Magic Kingdom-Orlando
5 Disney World Epcot Center-Orlando
6 Wild Waters-Silver Springs
7 Dollywood-Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
8 Cypress Gardens (now closed down)-Winter Haven, Florida
9 Universal Studios-Orlando
10 Disney MGM Studios-Orlando
11 Blizzard Beach (Disney World)-Orlando
                                                         
Actually, I've enjoyed all of the above theme parks and have my favorite rides in each of them.  Now, here are my eight all-time favorite rides I've been on:

1 POWER SURGE (Wild Adventures)
This ride superficially resembles a Ferris wheel, but the passengers, securely strapped and fastened in their seats, soon find themselves hurled up and spinning and toppling in different directions as the world around them becomes a chaotic blur.  This has to be one of the more terrifying rides to behold from the ground...it took me a while to muster up the courage to ride it.  And as no two rides are exactly alike, I've never gotten so accustomed to it that riding it hasn't disturbed me at least a little...perfect! Only one problem: since Wild Adventures switched its ownership, Power Surge was removed.  Sometimes it appears at county fairs...it was at the Alachua County Fair two years ago, but was out of service and unavailable.  I also rode it back in 2005 at Cypress Gardens, which has since closed down...

2-MONTU (Busch Gardens Tampa)
Montu is what I call the "Cadillac" of roller coasters, providing an extremely smooth, comfortable riding experience.  But like Power Surge, it can appear pretty imposing from the ground level.  Montu is a hanging steel coaster that undergoes several loops, which for me is a good thing.  When dealing with the "G's" that thrill rides place on passengers, inverting loops can alleviate the effects...I'm not supposed to ride anything that puts an overload of them on me. So Montu and Power Surge work quite well in that regard...

3-KUMBA (Busch Gardens Tampa)
Kumba is another looping steel coaster at Busch Gardens, this one where the passengers' feet are firmly resting on the floor within their compartments and not hanging out loosely.  To me, it has a great initial climb...and that dive soon after the apex is epic!  Visually, I prefer Kumba's lush green surroundings to Montu's sand...it is a bit more jolting, though.  Still, it has always been one of the two absolute requirements for me during a Busch Gardens visit....although I prefer Montu by far...

4-DUELING DRAGONS:FIRE (Islands of Adventure-Orlando)
Now known as Dragon Challenge and renamed for dragons appearing in the Harry Potter book The Goblet of Fire, Dueling Dragons features two separate coasters, Fire and Ice, dispatched simultaneously and often hurling themselves at each other like, well, dueling dragons! In one of these high-flying encounters, Fire would momentarily hover over Ice as the latter passed close underneath...giving a sensation of floating weightlessness that Ice didn't have.  I loved this coaster and always sought it out when visiting.  Unfortunately, it's buried at the back of the park and requires a trek to reach.

5-TORNADO (Wild Waters)
I'm not sure whether or not Wild Waters will remain in existence after its adjacent park of Silver Springs became a state park.  In any event, it has been several years since I've been there...it is the closest park to Gainesville that features "rides" and you can't beat the price.  My favorite water ride is here: the tubular Tornado, a ride that requires the participant to cross their hands over the chest and cross ankles...and remain lying still as they steeply slide down into the black tube's opening at the top.  The tube convolutes to where you're actually inverted at one point while blindly sliding within it before being twisted back around at the landing.  Wild Adventures has a similar ride at its own water park (or at least it did a few years ago).

6 AVIATOR (Wild Adventures)
I believe Aviator is still at Wild Adventures, and it is one of the first thrill rides I rode on to any extent. It is more of a panoramic-view ride, with passengers seated at spokes from the center and rising up high from the ground while rotating at a brisk speed in a counterclockwise direction.  I loved sitting high up there in the sky (hence the name "Aviator"), going around like that with such a view of everything beneath...I remarked that I could easily stay up there for hours with a good book in hand and a coffee, only coming back down for refills and bathroom breaks.  But alas, that's not how they run things in these theme parks!

7 SPACESHIP EARTH (Epcot Center)
I like a lot of things about Walt Disney World.  One thing that I DON'T like, though, is having to wait in endless lines to go on any of their rides...often even when I've made an advance "appointment" using their express system.  There is one important exception to this repeated frustration: Spaceship Earth, which is the "entrance" ride to Epcot Center, right underneath the giant golf ball.  You may be standing in a line at the start, but it is constantly loading with its conveyor belt system.  Soon enough, you're on a visual educational tour through the history of humanity's progress in the area of communications...and in the process you get to sit for several minutes in air-conditioned splendor (this can be important during the dog days of summer in central Florida). Spaceship Earth is not exactly a "thrill ride" per se, but it is one that anyone could ride...and as such everyone in your party can experience it and share their reactions...

8-THUNDERHEAD (Dollywood)
Thunderhead is the best wooden roller coaster I've ever been on.  No other has come as close to it for its smoothness...but I still have to place it on my list with an important caveat: I'll probably not ride it again due to the factor of the gravity pressure that rides of this genre inevitably place on the passenger, especially during the tight winding at the end.  But it was by far the best ride in the park (that Tennessee Tornado steel coaster was brutally harsh)...

Well, I think I'll just leave this list at "eight" and move on.  Truth be told, I don't feel any particular urge to go rushing out to any of these theme parks and relive my old experiences...my memory serves me pretty well. I also noticed that, with some of the more well-known rides, you can get on You-Tube and vicariously experience them through the cameras of other riders...