Sunday, August 16, 2015

Just Finished Reading A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

A Memory of Light, which was published in 2013, is the fourteenth and concluding book in Robert Jordan's fantasy series The Wheel of Time.  This last book, as well as the two preceding it, were written by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death...with careful attention given to the original author's vision and extensive notes.  In such a finale, I was naturally concerned at what was going to happen to all of the various characters introduced in the series...I instinctively knew that not all of them would survive.  Well, I found out...but don't worry...I'm not giving anything away.  And, of course, how the main struggle between the Dragon Reborn and the Dark One turned out is resolved as well...and in a curiously satisfactory way, too.  Yes, although plowing through these fourteen books amounted to a sometimes tedious, drawn-out project, I feel vindicated for my efforts by how it ended...

Now that I have finished reading the Wheel of Time series, I can go onto the Wiki website exclusively devoted to it.  A few months ago I had gone on it to collect a little background information about one of the characters and inadvertently read premature information about her demise.  Now, though, I'm done with the series and can go back to the Wheel of Time Wiki to fill in gaps in my memory of people, places, nations, and events...

If you're someone who likes reading involved, lengthy fantasy series with compelling characters (and the characters are what won me over), then by all means treat yourself to The Wheel of Time.  But it will take you a while to get through it, and there is an awful lot of information to absorb and try to keep up with.  Still, it easily beats just sitting for hours on-end channel-surfing the TV.  Engage your mind, I say...The Wheel of Time most definitely will accomplish that!