It's getting closer to the start of the National Football League regular season this year, with the opening game between Pittsburgh and New England on Thursday, September 10 less than two weeks away. So, as I usually do this time of year, I'm going through each division and picking my favorite teams. No, I'm not predicting which ones will win each division...I'm strictly going by personal preference. And since I'm doing this blog basically as an ongoing writing exercise, I'll explain the reasons for my picks...
AMERICAN CONFERENCE
East Division: MIAMI DOLPHINS-The Dolphins have been my team of choice since 1968, their third season of existence in the then-American Football League and when I was eleven going on twelve. I suffered through two sub-par, typical expansion team seasons...and then Don Shula came over from Baltimore to coach them. They won two Super Bowls under his direction and appeared in five...but more incredibly, during Shula's 26-year tenure there, they had only two losing seasons. His successor Jimmy Johnson enjoyed some moderate success in his four years there, but from 2004 through 2015 Miami has enjoyed only two winning seasons. And their last playoff appearance was in 2008. They've frustrated me to no end the last two years because in each one they were in an excellent position to make the playoffs...only to choke up instead. Will they be any better this year? Guess we'll find out before too long...
South Division: JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS-Until 1977, I lived in South Florida. But ever since the Jacksonville franchise came into existence I've lived the closest to that city. I've always rooted for them unless they were playing Miami...although in recent years their mediocrity has made it often an exercise in futility. If they finish higher than last, I'll be surprised.
North Division: BALTIMORE RAVENS-I've always admired the swarming defense of the Ravens...it reminds me of that of the Dolphins during their "No-Name Defense" era of early '70s Super Bowl glory and the "Killer B's" of the 1982 season when they made another Super Bowl appearance. I also feel a bit of gratitude to Baltimore for having been so kind as lose to Miami late in the 2007 regular season, giving them their only win and keeping them from going 0-16. The Ravens are by far my favorite in this division.
West Division: SAN DIEGO CHARGERS-I can't root for Denver after it abandoned Tim Tebow right after he got them into the playoffs in 2011 for the first time in years. I've always despised Oakland and feel neutral about Kansas City. But I like the Chargers for their quarterback Phil Rivers. Unfortunately, the management of this franchise has been remiss about retaining the talent around him. Still, I'm going to pull for them when they're not playing a Florida team or the New York Giants...and I believe they have a good shot at making the playoffs this year.
NATIONAL CONFERENCE
East Division: NEW YORK GIANTS-When the Giants upset the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl capping the 2007 season...ruining the Dolphins' bitter divisional rivals' quest for a perfect record...I vowed to myself that I would begin to support them on a regular basis. And, what do you know, they repeated the feat in 2011 against the same villains! Let's see, another four years have passed...do the Giants still have it in them? Probably not, but my gratitude hasn't diminished. Besides, I admire their quarterback Eli Manning, and head coach Tom Coughlin has my respect going back to the Jaguars' old glory days when he led them into the playoffs soon after their inception into the league.
South Division: TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS-This is a team that should have done much better last year than 2-14...so I have high expectations for them this time around, especially after getting what could eventually be a Hall of Fame quarterback in Jameis Winston. But high hopes abound easily before the first game is played. They're going to have to figure out ways to keep their composure in close games in order to pull some victories "out of the hat". Fortunately, Winston has plenty of experience in this area and seems to be a natural leader on the field. The Bucs have the potential to be the turnaround team of the year. Of course, I root for them primarily for one reason: they are a Florida team...and for the first 18 years I lived in Gainesville, the nearest one to me...
North Division: GREEN BAY PACKERS-I like the Packers not only for their outstanding quarterback Aaron Rodgers, but also for their tremendous fans. I especially like the custom at Packer home games for Green Bay players, upon scoring touchdowns for their team, to go jumping into the stadium to be mass-hugged by their supporters. It's nice to root for a team with a great shot at the championship, and the Pack fills the bill here.
West Division: SEATTLE SEAHAWKS-I followed Seattle from time to time as they were first getting used to their then-new head coach Pete Carroll. I was impressed by Carroll's exuberance and positive attitude. This guy has a lot of fun out there coaching his team, and his expressiveness is infectious. So when they won their first Super Bowl a couple of years ago, I was already all aboard with the Seahawks. They have, I believe, what it takes to make a third consecutive Super Bowl appearance...if Green Bay or Dallas don't prevent them.
As for the teams I oppose the most, let's just say that I dislike, in order of intensity: New England, Buffalo, New York Jets, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Denver, Oakland, Houston, and Dallas...