Foundation and Empire is the second book in the late science fiction writer Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Originally a part of the Foundation "trilogy" back in the 1950s, Asimov wrote two more books in it during the 1980s and then added two prequels. After his death in 1992, three other sci-fi writers wrote authorized Foundation novels as well...bringing the total so far as I know it to be ten books. I happen to possess all of these books. Unfortunately, they are buried in the deep recesses of my garage, which I desperately need to declutter and organize. But even if one reads all of the Foundation books, in order to understand the full context of Asimov's futuristic imaginary universe it is necessary to go through the four "Robot" (or "Spacer") novels as well as the three-part Empire series. This begins to become apparent toward the end of the Foundation series...and although I haven't as yet read the two prequel Foundation novels, I understand that this is true for them as well...
As for Foundation and Empire, there is little I can tell any prospective reader without giving away the first book in the series, also titled Foundation. In very general terms, I will say that this second book deals with the Foundation...and with the Empire...as if that wasn't obviously self-evident. But for more than half of the book, another element enters the story...and it is this part I found to be the most compelling...especially its chief antagonist and the sly manner in which Asimov wrote him into the story. As for the first part, I did pick up an important theme expressed within it that I myself have learned over the course of my lifetime: if you are working for an organization, individual, or cause and are so committed and excellent with the results of your efforts that you begin to be recognized for that excellence, then your biggest opposition...as well as your eventual downfall...most likely will come from among those for whom you are so diligently striving as they will begin to perceive you as a threat to themselves. Sounds cynical, but it has been borne out with my own experiences time and time again, sad to say...